Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks

Installing Firmware on your MK808

1. Download and install Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5 from here [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2. Run the tool and select the image you wish you to install.

3. Put your MK808 in flashmode. (press reset in little hole with paperclick and then plug in USB cable to computer, the hole is the one opposite the blue light when stick is on)

4. When windows prompts for drivers select the drivers folder in included rockchip batch tool download.

5. Press restore button

Thanks

Re: Installing Firmware on your MK808

Thanks for the info. I just received my mk808, and I wanted to know if there was a way to extract and save my current firmware version before I modified it with another. I would like something to revert back to in the event that I'm not satisfied with someone's custom ROM. Thanks in advance...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tab_Modder View Post
    1. Download and install Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5 from here [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2. Run the tool and select the image you wish you to install.

3. Put your MK808 in flashmode. (press reset in little hole with paperclick and then plug in USB cable to computer, the hole is the one opposite the blue light when stick is on)

4. When windows prompts for drivers select the drivers folder in included rockchip batch tool download.

5. Press restore button
    Tab Modder:
    Below is a cut and paste from my ontro to this Forum. It tells you where I am.

<<<As it says I am Gottfried. I am 70 YO retired electrician. For computers I run mostly Ubuntu Linux. I am more GUI than command line. I have gotten into ARM based processors with a MK808. TV set top box, (stick), A9 dual core processor, 1G RAM, 4G ROM, running JellyBean. Wireless KB and mouse, HDMI TV output, and USB hub for USB inputs. It is a small basic computer capable of running Ubuntu up to version 12.04 that I know of.
    I am building a system around the MK808, and to try to become familiar with it. I have the ROM to flash to my MK808 and the Ubuntu program on mini SD to boot from the SD port. I have "installing Firmware on your MK808" from this forum. Also I have a link for the Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5. I am now going to try to get my MK808 to dual boot, and boot into ubuntu. >>>

I am posting to this thread so I can get a bit of help when not if I need it and not stumble around in the dark.

Thank you.

Gottfried

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gottfried View Post
    Tab Modder:

<< I am building a system around the MK808, and to try to become familiar with it. I have the ROM to flash to my MK808 and the Ubuntu program on mini SD to boot from the SD port. I have "installing Firmware on your MK808" from this forum. Also I have a link for the Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5. I am now going to try to get my MK808 to dual boot, and boot into ubuntu. >>>

I am posting to this thread so I can get a bit of help when not if I need it and not stumble around in the dark.

Thank you.

Gottfried
    Glad you found your way to the correct forum. Welcome to FMA.

If you need any stock images for your MK808 just ask. Personally I am quite happy with the custom images found here with AndyTV being my favorite.

I generally try to collect stock firmware for various devices, so I can miiror them for our devs and members at reasonable download speeds. I have several firmware versions for the MK808, which do not appear in the forums.

I am sure you will get all the help you need if/when needed.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks

Tab Modder:

<< I am building a system around the MK808, and to try to become familiar with it. I have the ROM to flash to my MK808 and the Ubuntu program on mini SD to boot from the SD port. I have "installing Firmware on your MK808" from this forum. Also I have a link for the Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5. I am now going to try to get my MK808 to dual boot, and boot into ubuntu. >>>

Thank you.

Gottfried
    Welcome Gottfried, I have been spending most my time recently in the tablet section but do plan to get back here soon for more fun with these sticks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dansplans View Post

If you need any stock images for your MK808 just ask. Personally I am quite happy with the custom images found here with AndyTV being my favorite.

I generally try to collect stock firmware for various devices, so I can miiror them for our devs and members at reasonable download speeds. I have several firmware versions for the MK808, which do not appear in the forums.

Dansplans:

Well I have messed it up now. System ran well in JB. I am trying to get my MK808 to boot into Ubuntu. I downloaded Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5. The whole folder is on my desktop. It runs. I selected the the flash iso/image which I had downloaded, and it populated RBT. The image is the "pre alpha 2 update, which is the recommended image to flash for Ubuntu booting. I tried to get my Win 7 machine to recognise my MK808 with MK808 powered up. As per step three post one this thread. No joy. Pulled power from MK808, repeated step three. Win 7 machine recognized MK808. Went through device manager loaded drivers, and ended up with block one green in RBT. Chose restore per step four. Image loaded. Powered up and started system. With SD chip for Ubuntu. As far as I know system should boot to Ubuntu. No joy. Black screen last line "initialized SD card successfully. There the system stopped.

I believe ROM is corrupted and will have to be cleaned up and reloaded. Not a problem right now. Even with Win 7 machine loaded with proper drivers it will not recognize MK808, when it is powered up. It only recognizes MK808 when it is powered down and power is coming from the PC. Is this normal? The power thing has me confused. What is the power configuration of the MK808 when we execute step three of the procedure? And do we change power configuration after step three? I have never found any direct statement about the power configuration of the MK808 at firmware installation. The assumed condition I believe should be system and PC powered up. The re flashing of the ROM and getting back to JB should be reasonably doable. First I need help with the firm ware installation procedure. Once we have that OK, we can take the next step.

Thank you.
    Gottfried
    Last edited by Dansplans; 01-11-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks

Dansplans:

Well I have messed it up now. System ran well in JB. I am trying to get my MK808 to boot into Ubuntu. I downloaded Rockchip Batch Tool V1.5. The whole folder is on my desktop. It runs. I selected the the flash iso/image which I had downloaded, and it populated RBT. The image is the "pre alpha 2 update, which is the recommended image to flash for Ubuntu booting. I tried to get my Win 7 machine to recognise my MK808 with MK808 powered up. As per step three post one this thread. No joy. Pulled power from MK808, repeated step three. Win 7 machine recognized MK808. Went through device manager loaded drivers, and ended up with block one green in RBT. Chose restore per step four. Image loaded. Powered up and started system. With SD chip for Ubuntu. As far as I know system should boot to Ubuntu. No joy. Black screen last line "initialized SD card successfully. There the system stopped.

I believe ROM is corrupted and will have to be cleaned up and reloaded. Not a problem right now. Even with Win 7 machine loaded with proper drivers it will not recognize MK808, when it is powered up. It only recognizes MK808 when it is powered down and power is coming from the PC. Is this normal? The power thing has me confused. What is the power configuration of the MK808 when we execute step three of the procedure? And do we change power configuration after step three? I have never found any direct statement about the power configuration of the MK808 at firmware installation. The assumed condition I believe should be system and PC powered up. The re flashing of the ROM and getting back to JB should be reasonably doable. First I need help with the firm ware installation procedure. Once we have that OK, we can take the next step.

Thank you.
    Gottfried
    Using the supplied mini USB cable I flash per the above instructions with a couple notations for you.

First don't worry about the power supply. The PC connection provides the power needed to flash.

1. Start flashing tool and select image to flash.
    2. Connect the mini USB to the OTG port on the MK808.
    3. Press the reset button with a pin and hold. Hole is on opposite side of the OTG port.
    4. While holding the reset, connect the USB cable to the PC. The flashing tool should see your MK808 in a couple of seconds.
    5. Release reset button.
    6. Click on "restore" to flash firmware.

The operation should take about 3 minutes to complete. Once you get a notification that the flash is complete you can close the tool and disconnect the PC.
    Last edited by Dansplans; 01-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks

Using the supplied mini USB cable I flash per the above instructions with a couple notations for you.

First don't worry about the power supply. The PC connection provides the power needed to flash.

1. Start flashing tool and select image to flash.
    2. Connect the mini USB to the OTG port on the MK808.
    3. Press the reset button with a pin and hold. Hole is on opposite side of the OTG port.
    4. While holding the reset, connect the USB cable to the PC. The flashing tool should see your MK808 in a couple of seconds.
    5. Release reset button.
    6. Click on "restore" to flash firmware.

The operation should take about 3 minutes to complete. Once you get a notification that the flash is complete you can close the tool and disconnect the PC.
    Dansplans:

I tried your firmware download procedure with my Ubuntu update package. No joy. RBT works properly. Went to this site "https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2J_Nqv8IludeFNReFFEaWpHMDQ/edit?pli=1&docId=0B2J_Nqv8IludU084UjdDSGFidHM" downloaded JB, unzipped and flashed to my MK808. It is now restored to JB. Thank you for the help. I learned a lot from the exercise. I will still be trying to flash Ubuntu, but now my flashing process works. I can get back to JB. This is a major step forward. I now have a much better understanding of the RBT and how it programs the MK808.

Rooted firmware packages seem to be complete packages. The Ubuntu process seems to be a root package and a program package. The root package is flashed first. Then the program package loaded on an SD or USB that is placed in the system so BIOS can boot it when it finds it. If BIOS finds no other bootable device it defaults to JB. So does the Ubuntu root package just more or less add to the list of bootable devices for the MK808 BIOS?

Gottfried

Thanks

Glad you are able to flashthe MK808, but I must defer to our developers on boot processes etc., as I am not a developer.

I can suggest that you take a look at a dual boot ICS/Ubuntu that was developed here for an Allwinner A10 chipset. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Obviously the MK808 has no buttons to map, but perhaps finding a way to load USB drivers and a boot option screen prior to boot would allow the ability to choose which O/S to boot into. Just thinking out loud here.....

Good luck with your project.

Thanks

To All:

Small problem. I am running JB on a MK808. Full screen wireless keyboard and mouse. When doing things like email the soft keyboard keeps coming up on screen. JB still thinks it is a smart phone. How do I turn off the soft keyboard?

Gottfried

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast