Thanks

Flashing Pipo M9 firmware on a DMTech QCS1048?

I bought a DMTech QCS1048 ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) here in Sweden. DMTech is a small local company (like 11 employees) here in Sweden that seem to buy chinese tablets, tv's etc. and sell them rebranded under their own name (or under the Andersson brand when sold by one of the big electronic chains here in Sweden).

Several of their tablets do look exactly like the Pipo equivalent and according to some forums here the DMTech 9458DCB/Andersson ADT 2.6 is a rebranded Pipo M8 and at least when comparing to the specs/images the 1048QCS seems identical to the Pipo M9.

They do supply firmwares and also released an updated firmware (dated about a month ago) that I'm planning of installing now that I got the tablet rooted and have backed up with titanium, but it seems there are more choices regarding M9-roms.

I've flashed several phones in my day (Desire, Galaxy S2, One X) etc, but those brands was more mainstream and had lots of custom roms for these specific devices so I've never even thought of flashing a rom for another device before. But since this actually seem to be a Pipo M9 (with just another name on the back) I was wondering what's the worst thing that could happen if I tried to flash for example the latest RileyRom from this forum?

Do I risk bricking the device or is the worst thing that could happen that it doesn't boot that could be remedied by flashing an official firmware for my device?

Thanks

Re: Flashing Pipo M9 firmware on a DMTech QCS1048?

Quote Originally Posted by Souldrinker View Post
    I bought a DMTech QCS1048 ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) here in Sweden. DMTech is a small local company (like 11 employees) here in Sweden that seem to buy chinese tablets, tv's etc. and sell them rebranded under their own name (or under the Andersson brand when sold by one of the big electronic chains here in Sweden).

Several of their tablets do look exactly like the Pipo equivalent and according to some forums here the DMTech 9458DCB/Andersson ADT 2.6 is a rebranded Pipo M8 and at least when comparing to the specs/images the 1048QCS seems identical to the Pipo M9.

They do supply firmwares and also released an updated firmware (dated about a month ago) that I'm planning of installing now that I got the tablet rooted and have backed up with titanium, but it seems there are more choices regarding M9-roms.

I've flashed several phones in my day (Desire, Galaxy S2, One X) etc, but those brands was more mainstream and had lots of custom roms for these specific devices so I've never even thought of flashing a rom for another device before. But since this actually seem to be a Pipo M9 (with just another name on the back) I was wondering what's the worst thing that could happen if I tried to flash for example the latest RileyRom from this forum?

Do I risk bricking the device or is the worst thing that could happen that it doesn't boot that could be remedied by flashing an official firmware for my device?
    There is a very small chance that you might brick your tablet. Most likely you can reflash your original firmware, if the M9 roms you try don't work. Failure usually means that the touchscreen doesn't work at all, or is inverted. You may also get a blank screen if the touch firmware is completely different.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dansplans For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Flashing Pipo M9 firmware on a DMTech QCS1048?

Thanks for the answer. It seems also Riley mentioned in his flashing guide for dummies that rockchip devices should be almost unbrickable, but I chickened out for now anyway...

Thought it would be good to have tried an official firmware flash at least once so that I know that works before going custom. Also when reading closer the M9 didn't either seem to have multi user support (which I when I bought this tablet thought was standard in Android 4.2) so it seems there might not be so much gain in using that for now when your root script worked good on the official rom. It also seems that nothing much was changed with the August 14th release, but I might probably try when/if some exciting rom with new features appear.

Not sure if all the rockchip tablet kernels/versions are named the same or if the similar names in the about settings even more confirms that the M9 and the 1048QCS is the same?

It seemed like the previous RileyRom (1.9) had this:
    Kernel-Version: 3.0.36+ root@lzj-desktop #79 Thu Jun 6 09:25:54 CST 2013
    Build-Number: rk30sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.root.20130606.093532 test-keys

While mine came with this:
    Kernel-Version: 3.0.36+ root@lzj-desktop #52 Thu May 30 11:16:21 CST 2013
    Build-Number: rk30sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.root.20130614.192828 test-keys

...and now with the latest update changed to this:
    Kernel-Version: 3.0.36+ root@lzj-desktop #3 Fri 12 Jul 18:39:27 CST 2013
    Build-Number: rk30sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.root.20130723.191029 test-keys

At least I know now how to reflash a stock rom if it fails, so if/when I test a M9 rom I will report back here...